President Ranil Wickremesinghe declared in accordance with powers vested in him in terms of section 2 in Essential Public Services Act number 61 of 1979, declared Electricity, Petroleum and Healthcare sectors as essential services.
Accordingly, all services connected to;
- The supply of electricity
- The supply and distribution of petroleum products and fuel
- All services deemed as necessary for maintenance
- Reception, caretaking and treatment of patients
- Hospitals, Nursing Homes, Dispensaries and other Healthcare Institutions
were deemed essential by way of this gazette.